Considering taking on Windows port

Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo dot com>
(NOTE: First paragraph is just background to demonstrate my motivation for the real purpose of this post.)  I currently use Gnumeric for numerous home projects, and have many spreadsheets with a significant amount of time spent building up the formulas, formatting and interlinking with other programs.  I use it on both Linux and Windows, but Windows more due to my CAD software.

I'm a sometimes coder, and I'm considering taking on the effort to port Gnumeric to Windows (again - since it's been done before).  I've made some progress with the code using MINGW as my compiling platform, but have a list of items I need to resolve yet to get it to work with the MINGW and other libraries (well - a LOT of things, as you'd imagine).  I don't expect the current set of developers to take this on themselves, you've made it clear you don't have the time or interest.

However, would you (the current developers) be willing to share your insight into the specific difficulties you ran into?  I'm guessing the more basic difficulties have been seen before and you had some workaround / kludges / elegant code solutions that will take me a lot of time to reinvent.

Regards

Re: Considering taking on Windows port

John Denker
On 09/03/2016 10:01 AM, Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo dot com> wrote:

> I'm considering taking on the effort

That would be a Good Thing.  ✔️✔️✔️  😀😀😀  ➕➕➕

Here's a typical use-case:  I do a lot of stuff with Gnumeric.  Often
other people, including windows users, want to use my spreadsheets.
There are serious compatibility issues.  Porting the spreadsheets is
a royal pain and a waste of resources.

Hypothetically, one solution would be to make Gnumeric 100% compatible
with XL, but I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon, and it would
probably not be desirable anyway.

Therefore, AFAICT, the best way to support sharing of spreadsheets is
to have a windows implementation of Gnumeric.

Even if the windows version left a few exotic features unsupported, it
would still be a Good Thing, much better than nothing.

Re: Considering taking on Windows port

Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo dot com>
Okay, I'll take the plunge then.  Starting point - how / where do I pull the last code set that successfully compiled on Windows?

Regards, Ron

Re: Considering taking on Windows port

Jean Bréfort-2
Hi,

You should start from current git, imho. You'll find some code in the
gnumeric/tools/win32 directory.

Hope this helps,
Jean

Le dimanche 04 septembre 2016 à 20:17 +0000, Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo
dot com> a écrit :
> Okay, I'll take the plunge then.  Starting point - how / where do I
> pull the last code set that successfully compiled on Windows?
>
> Regards, Ron

Re: Considering taking on Windows port

Morten Welinder-2
The problem is not so much Gnumeric as it is the dependencies.
They keep changing causing the necessary patching to break.

In tools/win32 there is code that in principle makes it possible
to do "make release module=gnumeric" for the compilation
and "make release target=installer" for the installer.

This is with cross-compilation from Linux.  (Not actually true
cross compilation as various parts of glib and gtk+ require
that the resulting binaries can be run.  However, the kernel
and Wine generally makes that work without effort.)

M.

On 09/04/2016 01:39 PM, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> You should start from current git, imho.

Here is how I compile on a linux box. The  autogen.sh  step was not
obvious to me;  AFAICT it is not mentioned in the README or INSTALL
files anywhere.

Note that gnumeric depends on having goffice /installed/
and goffice depends on having libgsf /installed/.

Initially, clone and initialize the three repos:

top="$PWD"
for repo in libgsf goffice gnumeric ; do
  cd $top
  git clone https://github.com/GNOME/$repo
  cd ./$repo
  git branch -m upstream
  git checkout -b master
  ./autogen.sh
  make
  make install # later repos depend on this
done

============

After the first time, that initialization is not repeated.
Instead:

for repo in libgsf goffice gnumeric ; do
  cd $top/$repo
  git checkout upstream
  git pull -v          # check for latest updates
  git checkout master
  git rebase upstream
  make
  make install