Edit SSL certificates missing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
Hi

In menu "Edit" the Edit SSL certificates is missing - in version 0.139
the entry is there - but not in version 0.140.

Why?

--
Thanks, hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
Am Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:40:27 +0200 schrieb Detlef Graef:

> Hi,
>
> Am 13.09.2016 um 11:54 schrieb hiker:
>
>> In menu "Edit" the Edit SSL certificates is missing - in version 0.139
>> the entry is there - but not in version 0.140.
>>
>> Why?
>
> In current version 0.141 the menu entry "Edit SSL certificates" is not
> missing. Same should be in Ver. 0.140.
>
> Do you have build pan with the option "--with-gnutls"?

I installed on Lubuntu 16.04 from PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~klaus-vormweg/+archive/ubuntu/pan?field.series_filter=xenial

--
Thanks, hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
Am Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:01:16 +0200 schrieb Detlef Graef:

> Am 13.09.2016 um 13:02 schrieb hiker:
>
>> Am Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:40:27 +0200 schrieb Detlef Graef:
>>
>>> Am 13.09.2016 um 11:54 schrieb hiker:
>>>
>>>> In menu "Edit" the Edit SSL certificates is missing - in version 0.139
>>>> the entry is there - but not in version 0.140.
>>>>
>>>> Why?
>>>
>>> In current version 0.141 the menu entry "Edit SSL certificates" is not
>>> missing. Same should be in Ver. 0.140.
>>>
>>> Do you have build pan with the option "--with-gnutls"?
>>
>> I installed on Lubuntu 16.04 from PPA:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/~klaus-vormweg/+archive/ubuntu/pan?field.series_filter=xenial
>
> Try the following command:
>
> "ldd /usr/bin/pan | grep -i tls"
>
> if you get any output something like:
>
> libgnutls.so.30 => /lib64/libgnutls.so.30 (0x00007f369d031000)
>
> Check where your pan binary is located, and replace /usr/bin/pan if
> necessary.
>
> If there is no output (pan is not linked to libgnutls), it is likely
> that pan is not build with the option "--with-gnutls".

There is no output... Hmm - why such a version in PPA? Hard to understand...

And for an own build all the needed packets on my small netbook - not a good idea neighter...

--
Thanks, hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Dave-58
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:13:14 +0000, hiker wrote:

> Am Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:01:16 +0200 schrieb Detlef Graef:
>
>> Am 13.09.2016 um 13:02 schrieb hiker:
>>
>>> Am Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:40:27 +0200 schrieb Detlef Graef:
>>>
>>>> Am 13.09.2016 um 11:54 schrieb hiker:
>>>>
>>>>> In menu "Edit" the Edit SSL certificates is missing - in version
>>>>> 0.139 the entry is there - but not in version 0.140.
>>>>>
>>>>> Why?
>>>>
>>>> In current version 0.141 the menu entry "Edit SSL certificates" is
>>>> not missing. Same should be in Ver. 0.140.
>>>>
>>>> Do you have build pan with the option "--with-gnutls"?
>>>
>>> I installed on Lubuntu 16.04 from PPA:
>>>
>>> https://launchpad.net/~klaus-vormweg/+archive/ubuntu/pan?
field.series_filter=xenial

>>
>> Try the following command:
>>
>> "ldd /usr/bin/pan | grep -i tls"
>>
>> if you get any output something like:
>>
>> libgnutls.so.30 => /lib64/libgnutls.so.30 (0x00007f369d031000)
>>
>> Check where your pan binary is located, and replace /usr/bin/pan if
>> necessary.
>>
>> If there is no output (pan is not linked to libgnutls), it is likely
>> that pan is not build with the option "--with-gnutls".
>
> There is no output... Hmm - why such a version in PPA? Hard to
> understand...
>
> And for an own build all the needed packets on my small netbook - not a
> good idea neighter...

I have to agree with the other posters.  Either build from source with
the correct options turned on or find an alternative build which has SSL
support compiled in. It's not a Pan problem, it's a choice made by
whoever built it for your Linux repo and unfortunately there's not really
much anyone can do here to help with that.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad
news.

FWIW I'm running 0.14 too and can confirm full SSL support works fine,
including the presence of the Edit-->Edit SSL Certificatss menu choice.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Dave-58
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:47:21 +0000, hiker wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:52:26 +0000 Dave wrote:
>
>> I have to agree with the other posters.  Either build from source with
>> the correct options turned on or find an alternative build which has
>> SSL support compiled in. It's not a Pan problem, it's a choice made by
>> whoever built it for your Linux repo and unfortunately there's not
>> really much anyone can do here to help with that.  Sorry to be the
>> bearer of bad news.
>>
>> FWIW I'm running 0.14 too and can confirm full SSL support works fine,
>> including the presence of the Edit-->Edit SSL Certificatss menu choice.
>
> In the meantime I could compile 0.140 on my netbook with SSL support and
> it seems to run. The only problem was that there must be some issue in a
> config file - I had to setup again all servers with all groups - but now
> it's running.

Oh that's great news :-) I was under the impression from your earlier
post that you really didn't want to go down the self-compile route on
what you implied was a fairly small, possibly under powered netbook.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Duncan-42
In reply to this post by Dave-58
Dave posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:52:26 +0000 as excerpted:

> FWIW I'm running 0.14 too and can confirm full SSL support works fine,
> including the presence of the Edit-->Edit SSL Certificatss menu choice.

Just so you know...

0.14.x was the last of the old C-based pan series and must be about a
decade old now.  The C++ rewrite was introduced as 0.90, and there have
been about 50 releases since then, bringing it to 0.140 (I believe 0.141
is actually the git version ATM, no actual 0.141 release yet, but I run
the git version so it's easy to lose track).

Unfortunately, I believe some Debian-based distros and perhaps Debian
itself, add another decimal in there and call 0.140 0.14.0, with 0.141
presumably being 0.14.1.  However, all that does is cause confusion,
because as I said, 0.14 is the about a decade old now old C-based pan,
which worked quite a bit differently in some areas.

And I know for sure that 0.14 was *WELL* before builtin ssl support was
added -- back then, and with the C++ rewrite until Heinrich added SSL
support (and a bunch of other stuff) sometime around 0.133 I believe, if
people needed SSL support the recommendation was to run an ssl-based
tunneling utility (the name of which IDR ATM), and have pan connect to
and use the tunnel's secure connection services.

So unless you have some sort of ssl tunneling setup, you cannot
_possibly_ be correct with ssl working fine in your 0.14 claim, as pan
didn't support (built-in) secure connections _at_ _all_ some 10 years ago
or whatever with the 0.14.x version.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
In reply to this post by hiker
 ~+uh*>tn0(i+SB/:4bgb\^aT]CiT3G&:cEkR.yX(JX70|Jcg%24pj1K%pD-K&M=PR:&.37xOK6F
        c{9>L<
References: <nr8ic8$prl$[hidden email]>
        <[hidden email]>
        <nr8mb9$r05$[hidden email]>
        <[hidden email]>
        <nr8qgq$a95$[hidden email]> <nr9asa$176$[hidden email]>
        <nr9e39$8co$[hidden email]> <nr9lki$176$[hidden email]>
X-No-Archive: yes
User-Agent: Pan/0.140 (Chocolate Salty Balls; GIT b8fc14e
 git.gnome.org/git/pan2)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 19:56:04 +0000 Dave wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:47:21 +0000, hiker wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:52:26 +0000 Dave wrote:
>>
>>> I have to agree with the other posters.  Either build from source with
>>> the correct options turned on or find an alternative build which has
>>> SSL support compiled in. It's not a Pan problem, it's a choice made by
>>> whoever built it for your Linux repo and unfortunately there's not
>>> really much anyone can do here to help with that.  Sorry to be the
>>> bearer of bad news.
>>>
>>> FWIW I'm running 0.14 too and can confirm full SSL support works fine,
>>> including the presence of the Edit-->Edit SSL Certificatss menu
>>> choice.
>>
>> In the meantime I could compile 0.140 on my netbook with SSL support
>> and it seems to run. The only problem was that there must be some issue
>> in a config file - I had to setup again all servers with all groups -
>> but now it's running.
>
> Oh that's great news :-) I was under the impression from your earlier
> post that you really didn't want to go down the self-compile route on
> what you implied was a fairly small, possibly under powered netbook.

Yes at first ;-) But I really couldn't stand the situation not to be able
to upgrade Pan. So I downloaded all the needed packets - and yes, it is a
small netbook...


--
Regards,
    hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
In reply to this post by hiker
 ~+uh*>tn0(i+SB/:4bgb\^aT]CiT3G&:cEkR.yX(JX70|Jcg%24pj1K%pD-K&M=PR:&.37xOK6F
        c{9>L<
References: <nr8ic8$prl$[hidden email]>
        <[hidden email]>
        <nr8mb9$r05$[hidden email]>
        <[hidden email]>
        <nr8qgq$a95$[hidden email]> <nr9asa$176$[hidden email]>
        <pan$8a90a$958549b0$d90b4e87$[hidden email]>
X-No-Archive: yes
User-Agent: Pan/0.140 (Chocolate Salty Balls; GIT b8fc14e
 git.gnome.org/git/pan2)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 05:16:58 +0000 Duncan wrote:

> So unless you have some sort of ssl tunneling setup, you cannot
> _possibly_ be correct with ssl working fine in your 0.14 claim, as pan
> didn't support (built-in) secure connections _at_ _all_ some 10 years
> ago or whatever with the 0.14.x version.

So the so-called SSL connection to THE NNTP server on port 563 isn't a
*secure* connection?

--
Regards,
    hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Duncan-42
hiker posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 05:28:08 +0000 as excerpted:

> ~+uh*>tn0(i+SB/:4bgb\^aT]CiT3G&:cEkR.yX(JX70|Jcg%24pj1K%pD-
K&M=PR:&.37xOK6F
> c{9>L<
> References: <nr8ic8$prl$[hidden email]>
> <1d114c88-1797-9357-1f39-1b08ab7455ea-
[hidden email]>
> <nr8mb9$r05$[hidden email]>
> <cd0a130d-35ef-a840-f962-2ac38587010e-
[hidden email]>
> <nr8qgq$a95$[hidden email]> <nr9asa$176$[hidden email]>
> <pan$8a90a$958549b0$d90b4e87$39e8b5a3-
[hidden email]>

> X-No-Archive: yes User-Agent: Pan/0.140 (Chocolate Salty Balls; GIT
> b8fc14e
>  git.gnome.org/git/pan2)
> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
>
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 05:16:58 +0000 Duncan wrote:
>
>> So unless you have some sort of ssl tunneling setup, you cannot
>> _possibly_ be correct with ssl working fine in your 0.14 claim, as pan
>> didn't support (built-in) secure connections _at_ _all_ some 10 years
>> ago or whatever with the 0.14.x version.
>
> So the so-called SSL connection to THE NNTP server on port 563 isn't a
> *secure* connection?

You're running 0.140 (git b8fc14e, and not 0.14) according to your
headers, so it should indeed be secure.

However, something's wrong with your headers, as part of the headers
appear as message body.  The problem appears to be a corrupted header
with a blank line embedded before the references header, which is the
first complete header that appears in the message body.  According to the
RFCs, two CRLF sequences in a row, with the first ending the last header
and the second effectively being a blank line between the last header and
the message body, terminates the header section, so when a header is
corrupted to add a second CRLF immediately after another one, the rest of
the message becomes body.

Based on previous bugs (one of which I experienced in pan and reported to
upstream gmime myself, after some help debugging it right on this list, a
couple years ago), I'd guess there's a relatively high chance it's a
libgmime bug, however, not a pan bug directly.  What version of gmime did
you build against?


--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Dave-58
In reply to this post by Duncan-42
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 05:16:58 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> 0.14.x was the last of the old C-based pan series and must be about a
> decade old now.  The C++ rewrite was introduced as 0.90, and there have
> been about 50 releases since then, bringing it to 0.140 (I believe 0.141
> is actually the git version ATM, no actual 0.141 release yet, but I run
> the git version so it's easy to lose track).

My mistake.  Sometimes I confuse version numbers with decimal numbers and
I dropped the seemingly insignificant trailing zero.  I'm using 0.140.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
In reply to this post by hiker
 ~+uh*>tn0(i+SB/:4bgb\^aT]CiT3G&:cEkR.yX(JX70|Jcg%24pj1K%pD-K&M=PR:&.37xOK6F
        c{9>L<
References: <nran58$lik$[hidden email]>
        <pan$70295$3b2cc59f$67a6e305$[hidden email]>
X-No-Archive: yes
User-Agent: Pan/0.140 (Chocolate Salty Balls; GIT b8fc14e
 git.gnome.org/git/pan2)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:57:02 +0000 Duncan wrote:

> Based on previous bugs (one of which I experienced in pan and reported
> to upstream gmime myself, after some help debugging it right on this
> list, a couple years ago), I'd guess there's a relatively high chance
> it's a libgmime bug, however, not a pan bug directly.  What version of
> gmime did you build against?

It seems that headers are now not in the message text - don't know what
it was before.

gmime has version 2.6.20-1

--
Regards,
    hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Dave-58
In reply to this post by Duncan-42
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:57:02 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Based on previous bugs (one of which I experienced in pan and reported
> to upstream gmime myself, after some help debugging it right on this
> list, a couple years ago), I'd guess there's a relatively high chance
> it's a libgmime bug, however, not a pan bug directly.  What version of
> gmime did you build against?

Looks an X-Face header where the corruption in occurring.  The actual X-
Face header looks a bit short and the garbage at the start of the body
before the References header (which is displayed as part of the body)
also looks like X-Face data.

I'd suggest re-creating the X-Face data, possibly make a slight edit to
the image file first to create a different encoding stream.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

hiker
In reply to this post by hiker
 7>?tQ$'oOPRwc:6^PIs@G>M\NsrD]1Y3CGhb75ufqxfv%)?*o5t>Ze0JnD1MAn:^J2S#%A6}-<g
        D)p

 ASoe~3Z-alsyiL6HLe=9(~m~Vt)R!]g8v2z~%[=/tQ)"Oa4L~)Vs-Qhl!Hl'5]U(^drhalzxvGK
        &fV
 ;#|HWL61c0uiiLzC|Q^dCO+fij?V{%#.`7Kd#y0%3cvbh[EbA'k6XNpQ?iYpoi
References: <nran58$lik$[hidden email]>
        <pan$70295$3b2cc59f$67a6e305$[hidden email]>
        <nrbue3$19t$[hidden email]>
X-No-Archive: yes
User-Agent: Pan/0.140 (Chocolate Salty Balls; GIT b8fc14e
 git.gnome.org/git/pan2)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 16:38:27 +0000 Dave wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:57:02 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Based on previous bugs (one of which I experienced in pan and reported
>> to upstream gmime myself, after some help debugging it right on this
>> list, a couple years ago), I'd guess there's a relatively high chance
>> it's a libgmime bug, however, not a pan bug directly.  What version of
>> gmime did you build against?
>
> Looks an X-Face header where the corruption in occurring.  The actual X-
> Face header looks a bit short and the garbage at the start of the body
> before the References header (which is displayed as part of the body)
> also looks like X-Face data.
>
> I'd suggest re-creating the X-Face data, possibly make a slight edit to
> the image file first to create a different encoding stream.

Here we go...

--
Regards,
    hiker


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Duncan-42
In reply to this post by Dave-58
hiker posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:30:13 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 16:38:27 +0000 Dave wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:57:02 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> Based on previous bugs (one of which I experienced in pan and reported
>>> to upstream gmime myself, after some help debugging it right on this
>>> list, a couple years ago), I'd guess there's a relatively high chance
>>> it's a libgmime bug, however, not a pan bug directly.  What version of
>>> gmime did you build against?
>>
>> Looks an X-Face header where the corruption in occurring.  The actual
>> X-
>> Face header looks a bit short and the garbage at the start of the body
>> before the References header (which is displayed as part of the body)
>> also looks like X-Face data.
>>
>> I'd suggest re-creating the X-Face data, possibly make a slight edit to
>> the image file first to create a different encoding stream.
>
> An other test now with new x-face data.

That one comes thru fine. =:^)

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Duncan-42
hiker posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 06:24:15 +0000 as excerpted:

> The problem was the x-face string, indeed. The generator displays the
> string on several lines with a <cr><lf> at the ends. These "characters"
> I had to delete and the string has to be on one line.

That makes sense.  Probably CRLFHT (HT = horizontal tab), which should
"fold" the header, RFC-style (IIRC).  But pan apparently expects it on a
single line and autofolds it if it's included in the posting profile x-
face line, while your generator was pre-folding it.

FWIW, if you included the x-face in the individual post custom headers or
in the posting profile extra headers, I'm guessing you could have used
the pre-folded version.  But given the single line for x-face
specifically in the posting profile, if you use that it apparently has to
be just that, a single line.

Now that you mention it, I believe the same problem came up once before
on this list.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Edit SSL certificates missing

Duncan-42
hiker posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 07:47:53 +0000 as excerpted:

> BTW I compiled 0.140 on my netbook but I see your are using 0.141. Big
> and important differences between these versions? So you suggest to
> compile 0.141 over here?

AFAIK, and from the list on pan's homepage (pan.rebelbase.com), 0.140 is
the last actual /release/, with the unreleased 0.141 denoting a live-git
or git-snapshot build.  Of course the git commit hash is noted in the
headers as well, so you can compare what people are running to what you
last pulled and built, if desired.

Checking the git log since 0.140 release, there have been a few bug fixes
including several memory leak fixes, some removals of deprecated calls,
and the usual set of l10n (localization, l-10-letters-n) updates.  
Nothing too major if what you have is working well, but fixing memory
leaks is always nice, so if you want to try building from git you do have
that, but it'll wait if you prefer to wait for an actual release.

Note that raw repo code may need a couple extra prep steps before
configure and make, that a shipped tarball has typically already taken
care of for you.  autoreconf --force is the typical one for autotools
based build systems like pan's.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


_______________________________________________
Pan-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users
Loading...