Epiphany : add a new search engine in user configuration

Epiphany : add a new search engine in user configuration

cedlemo
Hi,

I would like to add the Qwant search engine (https://www.qwant.com/) in
my search engines list and be able to use it as my default search engine.

I found those links :

http://blog.nixpanic.net/2014/07/change-default-search-engine-in.html
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/02/how-to-change-the-raspberry-pis-epiphany-browser-to-use-google/

in which it is said to modify the gschema xml files in /usr/share and
recompile them. I am reluctant to modify the main configuration files.
Is there another way to do this? (gconf-editor, or user configuration
files in ~/.config/ or in ~/.locale/share)

Regards

cedlemo.

Re: Epiphany : add a new search engine in user configuration

Michael Catanzaro-2
On Mon, 2016-12-12 at 11:08 +0100, cedlemo wrote:
> in which it is said to modify the gschema xml files in /usr/share
> and
> recompile them. I am reluctant to modify the main configuration
> files.
> Is there another way to do this?

Hi,

The lifehacker article you found is really bad, it totally missed the
point of having a settings framework. No, you don't have to edit a data
file owned by your package manager and then recompile your settings
schemas to change the default value of a setting in order to change
that setting. :)

The Nixpanic article is correct. First, he shows how to modify the
setting for yourself. I would have added an example argument to his
'gsettings set' command, though, otherwise it's not clear that there is
supposed to be one more argument there. For example:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.Epiphany keyword-search-url "<a href="https://www.qwant.com/?q=%s&t=all">https://www.qwant.com/?q=%s&t=all"

That's all that's needed to change the setting. You can also use the
GUI tool dconf-editor to do that if you prefer.

It's also possible to change the search engine from within Epiphany
itself, but it requires some black magic: you just add a bookmark with
%s in the address, then it should show up in the search engine combo
box in the preferences dialog. But of course there's no way anybody
could ever know about that; we need a way better user interface for
that.

If you want to change the setting for all users on your computer, then
you should write a .gschema.override file and then recompile schemas as
shown by Nixpanic. That's fine, though; you're not editing any data
files owned by the package manager. If you're doing this, it's expected
that you're a system administrator and packaging your override file in
an RPM or Debian package, to avoid unpackaged files under /usr/share.

> (gconf-editor, or user configuration
> files in ~/.config/ or in ~/.locale/share)

FYI: GNOME stopped using gconf about five years ago, we use gsettings
and dconf now.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Re: Epiphany : add a new search engine in user configuration

cedlemo
Hi Michael,

Thanks for all those valuable and clear information. I am really
intrigued by the black magic, is there
anything else that we can configure through this black magic?
how does it works?
do you plan to implement the possibility to add a search engine through
the user interface ?

Thanks a lot.

Cedric Le Moigne

On Mon, 2016-12-12 at 16:47 +0100, cedlemo wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for all those valuable and clear information. I am really
> intrigued by the black magic, is there
> anything else that we can configure through this black magic?
> how does it works?

They are called "smart bookmarks" and they also show up in the
autocompletion when you type a URL in the address bar. There is some
documentation in the user help if you look for the smart bookmarks
page, but that's really all there is to it.

> do you plan to implement the possibility to add a search engine
> through
> the user interface ?

Eventually, yes, it's desired, but it's not a short-term goal. As
always, help welcome. ;)

Michael