Epiphany and extensions

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

I'd like to extend Epiphany, to add integration with pass
(https://passwordstore.org).

I checked the documentation and cloned the git repository, but couldn't
find anything regarding extensions.

I found an old repository on GitHub that contains extensions, but it
doesn't seem to be used by Epiphany by default.

Is there a way to extend Epiphany today?

PS: Many thanks for Epiphany.  It's a wonderful software.

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Epiphany and extensions

Michael Catanzaro-2
Hi,

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Is there a way to extend Epiphany today?

No, sorry. Epiphany does not support extensions anymore. Ideally we
would support WebExtensions (Chrome- and Firefox-compatible
extensions), but that would be a big project and it's not currently on
the roadmap.

In some cases, we'd accept patches to add the desired functionality as
a normal built-in feature. But I think our gnome-keyring integration
suffices for most users, and I don't think the extra complexity of
supporting two different password manager backends would be worthwhile
for us. Sorry. :/

> PS: Many thanks for Epiphany.  It's a wonderful software.

Glad you like it, and sorry to disappoint regarding extensions.

Michael

Re: Epiphany and extensions

Nicolas Petton
Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Michael,

> No, sorry. Epiphany does not support extensions anymore. Ideally we
> would support WebExtensions (Chrome- and Firefox-compatible
> extensions), but that would be a big project and it's not currently on
> the roadmap.

That would be a great addition to Epiphany.  I know it targets regular
users more than developers, but even regular users are used to use a few
extensions for their web browser.

How big of a project would this be?

> In some cases, we'd accept patches to add the desired functionality as
> a normal built-in feature. But I think our gnome-keyring integration
> suffices for most users, and I don't think the extra complexity of
> supporting two different password manager backends would be worthwhile
> for us. Sorry. :/

That's understandable, I didn't expect Epiphany to support passwordstore.

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Epiphany and extensions

Michael Catanzaro-2
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> That would be a great addition to Epiphany.  I know it targets regular
> users more than developers, but even regular users are used to use a
> few
> extensions for their web browser.
>
> How big of a project would this be?

Big! That's why we're not currently planning to work on it. The
WebExtensions API is large. We probably only need to target the subset
of the API that's supported by Firefox, but that's still going to be a
large amount. I'd be surprised if Mozilla doesn't have multiple
developers working on this full time.

See: http://arewewebextensionsyet.com/

If you or anyone else wants to work on this (which would be awesome),
please contact me before starting since we might want to do a few
things a bit differently than other browsers. E.g. any APIs for adding
stuff to the top bar will have to add stuff to the window menu instead,
since we don't want extensions modifying that prime real estate.

Michael