Gnumeric on Mac OS X

M-Rick
Hi

I succeeded in packaging Gnumeric as a Mac OS X native application.
It has been built upon MacPorts libraries. I compile it inside the /tmp exotic path, allowing me to make the executable running from any location. I rewrote totally the shell script launching the application.
It works roughly well and it has support for Pure and databases (Berkeley DB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLCipher, SQLite, Web). It has Mac OS X native help support, but it is lacking of a native Mac OS X integration, such as global menus and shortcuts keys.
I am working thoroughly on it because it is a fast and powerful spreadsheet with great features all inside a simple GUI.
Despite those imperfections, I am certain some will be interested by it.
If you're interested in trying it out, or to improve it, the package can be downloaded there:

Aymeric

Gnumeric 1.12.31 - About

Gnumeric 1.12.31 - Spreadsheet and chart

Gnumeric 1.12.31 - Databases support with GDA (Berkeley DB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLCipher, SQLite, Web)

Gnumeric 1.12.31 - GDA's configuration window (Gnome Database Access)

Gnumeric 1.12.31 - Native Mac OS X Help integration

Re: Gnumeric on Mac OS X

Miguel de Icaza
This is fabulous!

We tried reusing Gtk code for the OSX UI in MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio and it was a big resource drain.

My recommendation is to embrace the platform and if necessary provide a glue layer inside Gnumeric to handle the menus and accelerators in a platform specific way.
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM M-Rick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

M-Rick

Re: Gnumeric on Mac OS X

Giorgio Pioda
Hi Rick,

I have some pupils interested in the OS X version. Is there
any news from the front? Apparently the link is not reachable
any more.

TIA

Giorgio

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:03:50AM -0700, M-Rick wrote:

> I updated to Gnumeric 1.12.32 and modified the build path.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwflru54i7tdov7/Gnumeric-1.12.32.7z
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi088mmhks9kmy7/gnumeric.sh
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5hm2ae8a40b6qg/Gnumeric-databases-1.12.32.7z
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ryuo0vn9gy93e5/gnumeric-databases.sh

Giorgio Pioda - Sysadmin SPSE-Tenero
Cell +41 79 629 20 63
Tel  +41 58 468 62 48
Fax  +41 58 468 61 98

Re: Gnumeric on Mac OS X

Adrian Custer
Hello Giorgio,

on mac, I end up using homebrew to install gnumeric and all its
dependencies. The version is 1.12.33 currently.

perhaps that helps,
   ~adrian