High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) / HEIC support?

High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) / HEIC support?

Abe Voelker
Hello,

With the release of iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, Apple began allowing users to save pictures formatted as HEIF files (on my phone, named with a .heic file extension): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

On my Ubuntu install, it seems that Eye of GNOME (version 3.18.2) cannot open these files. Just wondering if there are any plans to support them?

Thanks!
Abe

Re: High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) / HEIC support?

Felix Riemann-4
Hello Abe,

Sorry for the late response.

eog uses gdk-pixbuf as backend library for image decoding. Adding (simple) HEIF support requires writing a loader plugin for gdk-pixbuf that handles the file format (e.g. by using a given decoding library) and manually assigning eog as viewer for the given file type.

However, while HEIF itself is just a container, the HEIC pictures from the Apple phones use the HEVC algorithm for compressing the actual image data. HEVC is a heavily patented algorithm, which would as far as I know require Ubuntu/Fedora to pay licensing fees if they'd include it in their distributions. So I wouldn't count on HEIF/HEIC/HEVC (too many abbreviations!) support in major distributions soonish.

Regards,

Felix