How does Epiphany retrieve passwords from libsecret?

How does Epiphany retrieve passwords from libsecret?

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

Since Epiphany uses libsecret, I wrote a script to sync my passwords
from password-store to my Login libsecret collection.

To make sure that Epiphany finds the passwords, I'm adding xdg:schema
"org.epiphany.FormPassword", as well as an uri, form_username and
form_password attributes.

I thought that this would be enough for Epiphany to pick up my
passwords, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Does Epiphany store
somewhere else information about stored passwords?  Maybe a boolean to
know if a password was saved for a domain?

Cheers,
Nico

Re: How does Epiphany retrieve passwords from libsecret?

Michael Catanzaro-2
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> I thought that this would be enough for Epiphany to pick up my
> passwords, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Does Epiphany store
> somewhere else information about stored passwords?  Maybe a boolean to
> know if a password was saved for a domain?

Hi,

That should work for most passwords, but there are also WebKitGTK+ HTTP
authentication passwords, which are stored using the deprecated network
password schema, so they're not associated with any application. I know
this is unfortunate. We haven't figured out any good way to associate
those passwords with Epiphany.

If you're having trouble getting the org.epiphany.FormPassword
passwords, you might be interested in Epiphany's code to do so [1]. If
Epiphany can enumerate the passwords then you can too! Hope that helps.

Note: the storage schema is likely to change in 3.26 to accommodate
some new information needed for Firefox Sync support. Users will be
migrated automatically but you'll need to adjust your script for it.
That code has not landed yet, so don't worry about it until later.

Michael

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/tree/src/passwords-dialog.c

Michael Catanzaro <[hidden email]> writes:

> If you're having trouble getting the org.epiphany.FormPassword
> passwords, you might be interested in Epiphany's code to do so [1]. If
> Epiphany can enumerate the passwords then you can too! Hope that
> helps.

Thanks!  My mistake was stupid: url vs uri attribute :)
It works like a charm now.

Cheers,
Nico