How to merge 2 columns into 1?

bill-3
Hi all,
I need to merge the text of 2 columns into 1 with a space between them. The examples i find online dont seem to work for gnumeric. Can anyone offer suggestions? Many thanks!
peace
peace
bill

Re: How to merge 2 columns into 1?

Richard T Bumby
On 8/19/19 4:09 PM, bill wrote:
Hi all,
I need to merge the text of 2 columns into 1 with a space between them. The examples i find online dont seem to work for gnumeric. Can anyone offer suggestions? Many thanks!
peace
peace
bill
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.gnome.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fgnumeric-list&data=02%7C01%7Cbumby%40scarletmail.rutgers.edu%7Caaae487d215c49f3bd7e08d724e11c5c%7Cb92d2b234d35447093ff69aca6632ffe%7C1%7C0%7C637018421581428840&sdata=Hl8CdOvDdLnW%2FxkBk5%2FoazsMnWx2AyHyVUiJQHkvHxo%3D&reserved=0

My method:

In C1 enter: =A1&" "&B1

(usually the cells are entered using the mouse, but the keyboard can also be used)

propagate this formula to the rest of the column.  If you just want to keep the result, copy column C and use paste special/value to put it where you want it.

--RTB

Re: How to merge 2 columns into 1?

Jean Brefort

May be something like:
=concat(a1," ",b1)

Hope this helps,
Jean

Le lundi 19 août 2019 à 22:09 +0200, bill a écrit :

> Hi all,
> I need to merge the text of 2 columns into 1 with a space between
> them. The examples i find online dont seem to work for gnumeric. Can
> anyone offer suggestions? Many thanks!
> peace
> peace
> bill

Re: How to merge 2 columns into 1?

GnuMeric mailing list
On 8/19/19 1:09 PM, bill wrote:

> I need to merge the text of 2 columns into 1 with a space between them. The
> examples i find online dont seem to work for gnumeric. Can anyone offer
> suggestions?

If necessary, format numbers using the text(,) function.
  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/text-function-20d5ac4d-7b94-49fd-bb38-93d29371225c

Combine formatted results using the "&" operator or,
equivalently, the concat(...) function.

If that's not what's wanted, please ask a more specific question.
Explain what you tried, and why it wasn't satisfactory.

Re: How to merge 2 columns into 1?

bill-3
Thanks everyone for your responses, and so quickly too! I used the method from Richard's first reply and it works perfectly. Tons of time saved!
peace
bill

Re: How to merge 2 columns into 1?

GnuMeric mailing list
it's better like this

=concat(a1;" ";b1)

Nicolas

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 22:40:55 +0200
Jean Brefort <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May be something like:
> =concat(a1," ",b1)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jean
>
> Le lundi 19 août 2019 à 22:09 +0200, bill a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> > I need to merge the text of 2 columns into 1 with a space between
> > them. The examples i find online dont seem to work for gnumeric. Can
> > anyone offer suggestions? Many thanks!
> > peace
> > peace
> > bill