Is NoScript necessary for GNOME Web?

Gnome - Epiphany mailing list
Hello, the most important reason caused I don't use GNOME Web is lack
of NoScript, I want to know how much such thing is necessary for the
web browser on a GNU/Linux system?

Re: Is NoScript necessary for GNOME Web?

Michael Catanzaro-2
On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Farhad Mohammadi Majd via epiphany-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello, the most important reason caused I don't use GNOME Web is lack
> of NoScript, I want to know how much such thing is necessary for the
> web browser on a GNU/Linux system?

Well it's definitely not necessary, but it's an often-requested feature
and would surely be desirable. This should be built-in functionality.
I'd be happy to review patches, though this would not be a quick
project. I guess it would work similarly to how the current adblocker
blocks particular loads in the web process, but we'd need to figure out
what to expose in the UI.

Michael

Re: Is NoScript necessary for GNOME Web?

Gnome - Epiphany mailing list
Is GNOME Web (epiphany) secure enough without NoScript?

Re: Is NoScript necessary for GNOME Web?

Michael Catanzaro-2
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 1:24 AM, Farhad Mohammadi Majd via epiphany-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is GNOME Web (epiphany) secure enough without NoScript?

So it depends on your security model. If you don't want your web
browser running untrusted JavaScript, then of course it's not secure
under that constraint. But all major browsers allow that by default,
and that's good enough for 99% of users. Our security model is the same
as any other browser: JavaScript should not be able to cause lasting
harm after the page has been closed.

Michael