Mime type icons

Peter Bloomfield
Dear List,

Balsa uses icons in the "Message parts" tab to give a visual indication of the type of part. The default Gtk icon theme has relatively few icons, so Balsa installs several extra icons, to better distinguish the various types of message parts.

The extra icons have in the past been installed in the Gtk icon theme directory, which requires write permission and hence a root install. A recent commit to master installs them in Balsa's own icon directory tree. The default installation puts that under /usr/local, and still requires root permissions, but either

./configure --prefix=$HOME/.local …

or

make prefix=$HOME/.local
make prefix=$HOME/.local install

will install all files in user space. So it should now be possible to get a fully functional Balsa installation without needing root privileges.

Happy mailing!

Peter

Re: Mime type icons

Peter Bloomfield

Re: Mime type icons

Andreas Schmidt-15
Hello, Peter,

On 04/26/2017 03:00:01 AM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> it should now be possible to get a fully functional Balsa
> installation without needing root privileges.
please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a "fully functional
Balsa" also contain the documentation/help files? Wouldn't you still
need root privileges to install these files?

Best regards

Andreas

Installing a "personal" copy of balsa was: Mime type icons

Jack
Hello Andreas,

On 2017.04.26 08:54, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
> On 04/26/2017 03:00:01 AM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:

>> it should now be possible to get a fully functional Balsa
>> installation without needing root privileges.

> please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a "fully functional
> Balsa" also contain the documentation/help files? Wouldn't you still
> need root privileges to install these files?

Using this approach would put the ENTIRE installation under whatever
directory you specify as "prefix" including executables, libraries,
include files, icons, help files, ....  It would create bin, lib,
include, share, and other folders under the specified location.  It
would not mix some in system folders and some local.  (If you actually
have a reason to do that, it is possible using other options to
./configure.)

I can think of two situations in which this might be useful.  First, as
Peter suggested, is if you are on a machine where you do not have root
privs, but would still like to use balsa.  It would be an private
copy.  The other would be so you can keep a stable copy installed in
/usr or /usr/local, and then install a testing copy (from git hear or
with different compile options) in a local directory.  In this case,
you just need to take care not to mix using some files from the system
copy and some files from the local copy.

Jack

Re: Installing a "personal" copy of balsa was: Mime type icons

Andreas Schmidt-15
Hi, Jack,

On 04/26/2017 03:29:52 PM, Jack wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> On 2017.04.26 08:54, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
>> On 04/26/2017 03:00:01 AM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
>
>>> it should now be possible to get a fully functional Balsa
>>> installation without needing root privileges.
>
>> please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a "fully functional
>> Balsa" also contain the documentation/help files? Wouldn't you still
>> need root privileges to install these files?
>
> Using this approach would put the ENTIRE installation under whatever
> directory you specify as "prefix" including executables, libraries,
> include files, icons, help files, ....  It would create bin, lib,
> include, share, and other folders under the specified location.  It
> would not mix some in system folders and some local.  (If you
> actually have a reason to do that, it is possible using other options
> to ./configure.)
my wrong -- I get it now! I was misled by the subject, which mentioned
only MIME type icons. The reason I asked was that I had stumbled over
missing documentation before: After compiling a new version of Balsa, I
wanted to give it a try without replacing the (known to be working)
existing version. I seem to remember that no help files could be shown
from the local version -- right now I tried again, and they are there,
though. Well, it was just a question. :-)

Best regards

Andreas