New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Richard Owlett
Although I used spreadsheets back in days of CPM/80 and WinXP,
I've not used any in *DECADES*.
My OS is Debian Stretch (9.8).
The version of gnumeric is 1.12.32 .

I wish to plot the data in C30:C65 against the data in A30:A65.
I wish the labels on the x-axis to run from the value in A30 to
the value in A65.

I do not find the manual at
   https://help.gnome.org/users/gnumeric/stable/gnumeric.html
very helpful.

Help please.
TIA

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Jean Brefort
Hi,

Welcome to Gnumeric.

Look at section 3.10 (Graphing).

The fast way to plot your data is to select both ranges and click on
the graph button (left to the zoom tool button). Next, you choose the
plot type, default being scatter plot, and you can use the dialog to
customize your plot.

Hope this helps,
Jean

Le mardi 25 février 2020 à 06:52 -0600, Richard Owlett a écrit :

> Although I used spreadsheets back in days of CPM/80 and WinXP,
> I've not used any in *DECADES*.
> My OS is Debian Stretch (9.8).
> The version of gnumeric is 1.12.32 .
>
> I wish to plot the data in C30:C65 against the data in A30:A65.
> I wish the labels on the x-axis to run from the value in A30 to
> the value in A65.
>
> I do not find the manual at
>    https://help.gnome.org/users/gnumeric/stable/gnumeric.html
> very helpful.
>
> Help please.
> TIA

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

GnuMeric mailing list
On 2/25/20 11:05 AM, Jean Brefort wrote:
 > Welcome to Gnumeric.

Yeah, welcome.

1) Select A30:A65
2) Hold <Ctrl>, select C30:C65
3) Click the graph icon,
=> should give you a plot of type "XY" in a preview window

4) click insert
5) Select an area of the worksheet (click-drag-release)
=> should give you a plot on the worksheet

6) Right click on the plot, select "Properties" from the pop-up menu
=> gives you a "customize chart" window

This is a little complex: At the top left, there is a tree of elements
in your chart, you can navigate it and add or remove elements to the
tree. Top right, is a preview; bottom, allows you to modify the
currently selected element.

Off the top of my head, I don't know how to get the labels you want.
Best play around for a while to get a feel for it. Be patient, it's not
intuitive because it is trying to do something complex and has its own
vocabulary for all the elements.

good luck,
   ~adrian

> Look at section 3.10 (Graphing).
>
> The fast way to plot your data is to select both ranges and click on
> the graph button (left to the zoom tool button). Next, you choose the
> plot type, default being scatter plot, and you can use the dialog to
> customize your plot.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jean
>
> Le mardi 25 février 2020 à 06:52 -0600, Richard Owlett a écrit :
>> Although I used spreadsheets back in days of CPM/80 and WinXP,
>> I've not used any in *DECADES*.
>> My OS is Debian Stretch (9.8).
>> The version of gnumeric is 1.12.32 .
>>
>> I wish to plot the data in C30:C65 against the data in A30:A65.
>> I wish the labels on the x-axis to run from the value in A30 to
>> the value in A65.
>>
>> I do not find the manual at
>>     https://help.gnome.org/users/gnumeric/stable/gnumeric.html
>> very helpful.
>>
>> Help please.
>> TIA

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Jean Brefort
Le mardi 25 février 2020 à 12:09 -0300, Adrian Custer via gnumeric-list
a écrit :

> Off the top of my head, I don't know how to get the labels you want.

Select "Select first series a shared abscissa" and things should work.

On 02/25/2020 08:05 AM, Jean Brefort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Welcome to Gnumeric.
>
> Look at section 3.10 (Graphing).

Not useful.
I need a well written equivalent of section 10. Graphs.
>> I wish the labels on the x-axis to run from the value in A30 to
>> the value in A65.

> The fast way to plot your data is to select both ranges and click on
> the graph button (left to the zoom tool button). Next, you choose the
> plot type, default being scatter plot, and you can use the dialog to
> customize your plot.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jean
>
> Le mardi 25 février 2020 à 06:52 -0600, Richard Owlett a écrit :
>> Although I used spreadsheets back in days of CPM/80 and WinXP,
>> I've not used any in *DECADES*.
>> My OS is Debian Stretch (9.8).
>> The version of gnumeric is 1.12.32 .
>>
>> I wish to plot the data in C30:C65 against the data in A30:A65.
>> I wish the labels on the x-axis to run from the value in A30 to
>> the value in A65.
>>
>> I do not find the manual at
>>     https://help.gnome.org/users/gnumeric/stable/gnumeric.html
>> very helpful.
>>
>> Help please.
>> TIA

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

GnuMeric mailing list

Hi!

Copy the table (or part of it) to a text file
and plot you graph with gnuplot.

Andres Kuusk
Tartu Observatory, Estonia

--------

>>> I wish to plot the data in C30:C65 against the data in A30:A65.
>>> I wish the labels on the x-axis to run from the value in A30 to
>>> the value in A65.

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Richard Owlett
Thank you.
When I first read your post yesterday my initial response was

*THIS morning*, after a night's sleep, I followed your procedure
STEP by STEP. It worked better that way <sheepish grin>

The key was Step 6.

The manual needs a redo

On 02/26/2020 04:58 AM, Andres Kuusk via gnumeric-list wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Copy the table (or part of it) to a text file
> and plot you graph with gnuplot.

Adrian's post solved my immediate problem.
I'll investigate gnuplot (might have to wait for weekend).
Thank you.

> Andres Kuusk
> Tartu Observatory, Estonia
>
> --------

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Raymond Lillard
Richard,

Gnumeric has been my goto spreadsheet for a long time.  I have used it
as the first step in making quality plots in published papers.  First I
use the plot tools to take my graph as far as makes sense, adding
axis-es, labels trend-lines etc.. as desired. I then export the plot by
saving it in the svg graphics format.  I then polish it off in Inkscape.
   The final result looks better than anything I know how to do with any
other tool set including Excel.

Regards,
Raymond

On 2/26/20 4:39 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Thank you.
> When I first read your post yesterday my initial response was
>
> *THIS morning*, after a night's sleep, I followed your procedure
> STEP by STEP. It worked better that way <sheepish grin>
>
> The key was Step 6.
>
> The manual needs a redo
>
> On 02/25/2020 09:09 AM, Adrian Custer via gnumeric-list wrote:
>> On 2/25/20 11:05 AM, Jean Brefort wrote:
>>  > Welcome to Gnumeric.
>>

>> Yeah, welcome.
>>
>> 1) Select A30:A65
>> 2) Hold <Ctrl>, select C30:C65
>> 3) Click the graph icon,
>> => should give you a plot of type "XY" in a preview window
>>
>> 4) click insert
>> 5) Select an area of the worksheet (click-drag-release)
>> => should give you a plot on the worksheet
>>
>> 6) Right click on the plot, select "Properties" from the pop-up menu
>> => gives you a "customize chart" window
>>
>> This is a little complex: At the top left, there is a tree of
>> elements in your chart, you can navigate it and add or remove
>> elements to the tree. Top right, is a preview; bottom, allows you to
>> modify the currently selected element.
>>
>> Off the top of my head, I don't know how to get the labels you want.
>> Best play around for a while to get a feel for it. Be patient, it's
>> not intuitive because it is trying to do something complex and has
>> its own vocabulary for all the elements.
>>
>> good luck,
>>    ~adrian
>>

>>> Look at section 3.10 (Graphing).
>>>
>>> The fast way to plot your data is to select both ranges and click on
>>> the graph button (left to the zoom tool button). Next, you choose the
>>> plot type, default being scatter plot, and you can use the dialog to
>>> customize your plot.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Jean

Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Frédéric Parrenin
I agree with Raymond.

Gnumeric's developers, Jean in particular, have made a very nice
graphing tool.
There are features that are necessary in scientific publications and
that you don't find in other spreadsheet programs, like unlimited number
of axes, axis span, manual axis, etc.
I also like the way you can see the graph structure in the graph dialog.
I makes me understand of graphs work.
I could never understand how graphs work in Excel.

A better manual for the graphs would not hurt, but on the other hand, it
is quite easy to understand how it works by yourself.
Just explore the graph dialog.

All the best,

Frédéric

Le 26/02/2020 à 18:58, Raymond Lillard a écrit :

> Richard,
>
> Gnumeric has been my goto spreadsheet for a long time.  I have used it
> as the first step in making quality plots in published papers.  First
> I use the plot tools to take my graph as far as makes sense, adding
> axis-es, labels trend-lines etc.. as desired. I then export the plot
> by saving it in the svg graphics format.  I then polish it off in
> Inkscape.   The final result looks better than anything I know how to
> do with any other tool set including Excel.
>
> Regards,
> Raymond
>

> On 2/26/20 4:39 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Thank you.
>> When I first read your post yesterday my initial response was
>>
>> *THIS morning*, after a night's sleep, I followed your procedure
>> STEP by STEP. It worked better that way <sheepish grin>
>>
>> The key was Step 6.
>>
>> The manual needs a redo
>>
>> On 02/25/2020 09:09 AM, Adrian Custer via gnumeric-list wrote:
>>> On 2/25/20 11:05 AM, Jean Brefort wrote:
>>>  > Welcome to Gnumeric.
>>>

>>> Yeah, welcome.
>>>
>>> 1) Select A30:A65
>>> 2) Hold <Ctrl>, select C30:C65