Please add these cases to Apps/Web/FAQ

Gnome - Epiphany mailing list
Hello, please add these cases to Apps/Web/FAQ under "Mozilla and Firefox":

* File size, only the executable file of Mozilla Firefox is 42~44 MB while epiphany and its data files package altogether are about 2MB, this is huge differece and it means users pay less network traffic and time for updates. The big size of Firefox is extremely bad for users who have limited network traffic and low-bandwith.

* Epiphany is the leading in the field of using new linux-specified technologies, like GTK+ v3 and v4, wayland, etc. It is better to provide a short history about the time difference of supporting those technologies.

Excuse me for my bad english.

Re: Please add these cases to Apps/Web/FAQ

Michael Catanzaro-2
Hi,

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 11:50 +0000, Farhad Benyamin via epiphany-list
wrote:
> Hello, please add these cases to Apps/Web/FAQ under "Mozilla and
> Firefox":
>
> * File size, only the executable file of Mozilla Firefox is 42~44 MB
> while epiphany and its data files package altogether are about 2MB,
> this is huge differece and it means users pay less network traffic
> and time for updates. The big size of Firefox is extremely bad for
> users who have limited network traffic and low-bandwith.

This is not a real advantage since Epiphany depends on WebKit, which is
huge, and lots of other libraries.

> * Epiphany is the leading in the field of using new linux-specified
> technologies, like GTK+ v3 and v4, wayland, etc. It is better to
> provide a short history about the time difference of supporting those
> technologies.

That's true about GTK+ 3 and Wayland. I'll add that.

(We can't support GTK+ 4 until WebKit does, which might be a while.)

Michael

Re: Please add these cases to Apps/Web/FAQ

Gnome - Epiphany mailing list
 > This is not a real advantage
  since Epiphany depends on WebKit, which is
  huge, and lots of other libraries.

 Temporarily I am using Debian 9 (currently is Testing which
 provides latest version of packages) and by using "aptitude"
 I can
 give below information:

 libwebkit2gtk which is used by Epiphany is also used by
 below programs and totally 30 programs:

 (list is not complete)

 * Evolution
 * gir1.2-webkit2 -- rhythmbox-plugins depends on it.
 * Gthumb
 * libgoa-backend -- gnome control center depends on it.
 * Liferea
 * Yelp
 * zenity -- metacity and mutter depends on it.

 this means if GNOME is installed, there will be nothing or
 few dependency for install Epiphany, contrast this with
 Firefox:

 Epiphany has 26 dependency, Firefox ESR v45 has 33
 dependency

 epiphany-browser + epiphany-browser-data = 1.975 KB

 ONLY Firefox v45 package itself = 42MB !!

 above information clearly tells that install and keep
 up-date Firefox require huge network traffic, bandwith, and
 time; while if GNOME is installed, there will be nothing or
 few dependency for install Epiphany, and keep it up-date
 takes only about 2MB !! This is huge contrast!