Print Preview

chris dunn-5
Good day.

I'm a long-time user, currently running Gnumeric 1.12.46 on Debian Sid.

For some reason unknown, File / Print Preview and the Print Preview
button have stopped working for me in the last few days. Printing
including "Print to File" do not seem to be affected, just the preview.

When the Print Preview button is pressed there is the flash of a small
window on the screen then nothing. There does appear to be some text in
this transient window but it doesn't stay up long enough to see what is
there.

1. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where I can start looking for a
solution.

Thanks.

--

Chris Dunn

Re: Print Preview

Jean Brefort
Hi,

I'm also using Debian Sid and Print Preview works for me. Actually,
this command uses evince to display the result through gtk+ printing
code. May be you have a problem with evince crashing, just a guess.

Hope this helps,
Jean

Le jeudi 02 avril 2020 à 12:48 -0500, Chris Dunn a écrit :

> Good day.
>
> I'm a long-time user, currently running Gnumeric 1.12.46 on Debian
> Sid.
>
> For some reason unknown, File / Print Preview and the Print Preview
> button have stopped working for me in the last few days. Printing
> including "Print to File" do not seem to be affected, just the
> preview.
>
> When the Print Preview button is pressed there is the flash of a
> small
> window on the screen then nothing. There does appear to be some text
> in
> this transient window but it doesn't stay up long enough to see what
> is
> there.
>
> 1. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
>
> 2. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where I can start looking
> for a
> solution.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Print Preview

chris dunn-5
On 02/04/2020 13:47, Pere Pujal i Carabantes wrote:

> El dj. 02 de 04 de 2020 a les 12:48 -0500, en/na Chris Dunn va
> escriure:
>> Good day.
>>
>> I'm a long-time user, currently running Gnumeric 1.12.46 on Debian
>> Sid.
>>
>> For some reason unknown, File / Print Preview and the Print Preview
>> button have stopped working for me in the last few days. Printing
>> including "Print to File" do not seem to be affected, just the
>> preview.
>>
>> When the Print Preview button is pressed there is the flash of a
>> small
>> window on the screen then nothing. There does appear to be some text
>> in
>> this transient window but it doesn't stay up long enough to see what
>> is
>> there.
>
> That window just says "preparing to preview", you could freeze it by
> trying to print a very big, more than 1000 pages preview, it will popup
> an areyousure window, so you could see the underlaying window that is
> asking that.

Thanks for this. It set me off on a path to a solution. Not having any
docs as large as you suggested to hand, I took your word for the behaviour.

Together with your mention of evince it did stir my memory to a previous
similar situation where an application was trying to write a file to
/tmp, but because of my inadequate root partition size there was no
space for the file, and the application failed. Sure enough it seems
that evince writes the "print preview" file as a .pdf to /tmp, and then
deletes it when the print preview screen is closed. My problem seems
likely to have been caused by this situation, as my root partition was
showing up as 97% full.

Having now doubled the size of my root partition, and set a cron script
to let me know if it is getting close to full, all seems to be working
well, and I believe I should not need to trouble the list again with my
own failings. At least on this subject.

Thanks and apologies to you, and to Jean Brefort for taking time to
respond to my un-necessary post.

--

Chris Dunn

P.O. Box 520, Ocho Rios Post Office, Saint Ann
95, Saint Mary Country Club
Charles Town
Saint Mary
Jamaica