Re: 0.140 Don't bother it won't compile on less than *buntu 16.04 or better

Re: 0.140 Don't bother it won't compile on less than *buntu 16.04 or better

David Shochat-3
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:10:48 +0000, DLSauers wrote:

> If you want TLS or well, pretty much any thing to work in Pan 0.140,
> don't waste your time.
>
> It WONT compile on anything less than 16.04.

It does build satisfactorily (with TLS) on 16.10. I do see that you said
"less than 16.04" so I assume something is preventing you from upgrading.

Re: 0.140 Don't bother it won't compile on less than *buntu 16.04 or better

Dave-58
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:10:48 +0000, DLSauers wrote:

> If you want TLS or well, pretty much any thing to work in Pan 0.140,
> don't waste your time.
>
> It WONT compile on anything less than 16.04.
>
> I've tried to find some path to overcome:
>
> GNUtls 2.8 in 14.04 - BBZZT! 3.4 requires Some nettlelib and ONLY 3.1
> not the 4 in 14.04 - So FAIL
>
> So basically that ends it.. since without TLS in 2016, its useless..
>
> Stick to the 0.139 PPA DEB, call it a day!
>
> Now to find a way to get back the 3 days I spent on this...

So, is this a Pan issue or a GNUtls issue?

I note that Ubuntu 14.04LTS has an EOL date of April 2019 so someone at Ubuntu should be dealing with
keeping the packages up to date, including both Pan and GNUtls.  Or does LTS just mean the actual distro
and whatever packages are available, potentially "stuck" at whenever it was last compiled?

Either way, if things have moved on with some apps to make them work with later OS and apps/libraries
and can't be kept compatible with older OS, then maybe it's time to move on.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.

Re: 0.140 Don't bother it won't compile on less than *buntu 16.04 or better

Duncan-42
Dave posted on Sat, 19 Nov 2016 02:49:57 +0000 as excerpted:

> I note that Ubuntu 14.04LTS has an EOL date of April 2019 so someone at
> Ubuntu should be dealing with keeping the packages up to date, including
> both Pan and GNUtls.  Or does LTS just mean the actual distro and
> whatever packages are available, potentially "stuck" at whenever it was
> last compiled?

Umm... Generally the whole idea with LTS releases is that you get
security-fixes only, and those are normally backported to whatever
version was shipped at release, the idea being if it's not broken, don't
"fix" it, and actually break it.  A few select kernel drivers may be
updated, again by backporting, and a _very_ few select kernel features
backported as well, generally to work with new hardware or support some
"must-have" enterprisish feature, but that's about it.

So... pretty much "stuck", as you said.

Of course some of us spell it stale^H^Hble and prefer to stay far away
from it, certainly for our desktops/laptops/workstations, but others pay
good money to do that, and for servers at least they arguably have a
point.  Tho I suppose for the "I just want it to work and not break or
change functionality I'm used to working in in a particular way" folks,
that's arguably what they want/need on their personal machines as well.
But of course that's anything but me, so...

Of course there do tend to be third party repos that have updates for
this or that, if the distro is popular enough to have grown that sort of
community ecosystem around it, but those of course don't tend to be
supported by the distro, and sort of break the whole ideal of stale^H^Hble
as well and one would /think/ that people would choose a faster cycling
distro if they wanted updates, but these repos do tend to be popular in
some quarters so what can I say?

Anyway, arguably trying to update pan to 0.140 is out of keeping with the
whole idea of the staleness of stability that is the point of an LTS, so
that it won't build with encrypted-connection support is perhaps for the
best... for people that chose that staleness in the first place and
continue to want it in general.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman