Re: Timezone

Duncan-42
hiker posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:42:18 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi
>
> An other question: Pan seems not to take the timezone information from
> the OS or machine. The message header contains time UTC.
>
> Any place to change this?

I'm not aware of any.

You will note that my headers also contain the posting date in UTC.
However, at least here, pan does the conversion to local time for display
in the overview/header pane, while continuing to display the literal
header time (thus UTC for pan's posts) in the body pane.

I seem to vaguely recall something about that as an option (probably MAY
level, possibly SHOULD, but not MUST) discussed in the RFCs, but don't
remember anything at all about the details, and it's not enough of a
worry to me to justify spending the time to try to look it up, so unless
someone else either does the research or already knows and can post a
nicely clickable link... or at least a reference to the specific RFC...

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Re: Timezone

Dave-58
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 00:00:25 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> hiker posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:42:18 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> An other question: Pan seems not to take the timezone information from
>> the OS or machine. The message header contains time UTC.
>>
>> Any place to change this?
>
> I'm not aware of any.
>
> You will note that my headers also contain the posting date in UTC.
> However, at least here, pan does the conversion to local time for
> display in the overview/header pane, while continuing to display the
> literal header time (thus UTC for pan's posts) in the body pane.
>
> I seem to vaguely recall something about that as an option (probably MAY
> level, possibly SHOULD, but not MUST) discussed in the RFCs, but don't
> remember anything at all about the details, and it's not enough of a
> worry to me to justify spending the time to try to look it up, so unless
> someone else either does the research or already knows and can post a
> nicely clickable link... or at least a reference to the specific RFC...

IIRC the default is to always post with UTC, possibly with a modifier
showing +/- hours for local time.  Usenet is international so "local"
time means nothing to people in other time zones.  AFAICT, Pan shows the
posting time as UTC hh:mm:ss +hhmm by default.  I've never looked to see
it can be changed.  This post should show as something like UTC 21:45:00
+0100 since we are still currently one hour ahead of UTC/GMT in the UK
for summertime or daylight savings time as US people might say.

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.

Re: Timezone

Duncan-42
Dave posted on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 20:45:01 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 00:00:25 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> hiker posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:42:18 +0000 as excerpted:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> An other question: Pan seems not to take the timezone information from
>>> the OS or machine. The message header contains time UTC.
>>>
>>> Any place to change this?
>>
>> I'm not aware of any.
>>
>> You will note that my headers also contain the posting date in UTC.
>> However, at least here, pan does the conversion to local time for
>> display in the overview/header pane, while continuing to display the
>> literal header time (thus UTC for pan's posts) in the body pane.
>>
>> I seem to vaguely recall something about that as an option (probably
>> MAY level, possibly SHOULD, but not MUST) discussed in the RFCs, but
>> don't remember anything at all about the details, and it's not enough
>> of a worry to me to justify spending the time to try to look it up, so
>> unless someone else either does the research or already knows and can
>> post a nicely clickable link... or at least a reference to the specific
>> RFC...
>
> IIRC the default is to always post with UTC, possibly with a modifier
> showing +/- hours for local time.  Usenet is international so "local"
> time means nothing to people in other time zones.  AFAICT, Pan shows the
> posting time as UTC hh:mm:ss +hhmm by default.  I've never looked to see
> it can be changed.  This post should show as something like UTC 21:45:00
> +0100 since we are still currently one hour ahead of UTC/GMT in the UK
> for summertime or daylight savings time as US people might say.

Check the headers in the post itself (body pane/tab) -- at least here,
they show 20:45:01 +0000.  Pan does seem to be sending out UTC stamps,
unmodified for local time (+0000).  It's modifying from local time to UTC
at send.

Now the date column in the overview/header pane/tab does indeed get
adjusted for local time display, but it adjusts all overviews for
localtime.