Thumbnail cache folder location

colin clark
Someone recently posted a message on github pointing out a problem with thumbnail cache folders.
In addition to this problem, the code seems to be inconsistent in where it thinks the cache should be.

Geeqie can save thumbnails is two formats:
Standard format as specified in the freedesktop docs; all thumbnails in a single folder, with a filename created by a MD5 hash.
or,
Geeqie format, in a hierarchical tree replicating the location of the source images, and with a filename of the original source appended by .png.

The standard (freedesktop) cache location is clearly defined:
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/thumbnails
or, if the environment variable is not set:
$HOME/.cache/thumbnails

But where should the Geeqie format thumbnails be cached?
1. $HOME/.cache/geeqie/thumbnails (even if the XDG environment variable is set)
2. $XDG_CACHE_HOME/geeqie/thumbnails
3. $XDG_CACHE_HOME/thumbnails/geeqie/
4. None of the above?

Re: Thumbnail cache folder location

Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh
I'm a user not a developer.  Not anymore anyway. I'm retired.

My answer would be $PATH-TO-ORIGNAL-IMAGE/thumbnails, which mirrors a convenient way to organize files on a web server file system.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:35 AM, colin clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

/*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */