how to shade the background in every other row?

how to shade the background in every other row?

bill-2
Hi all,

Another "newbie" question, if i might...

I've noticed that in larger spreadsheets the author often shades every other row a light gray making it easier for the eye to discriminate between rows. I can do this manually but it's very time consuming, and is broken anytime i add or delete a row. Can someone please tell me the formula to do this and how to apply it? Many thanks!

peace
bill dobbins

Re: how to shade the background in every other row?

Morten Welinder-2
Select area
Format->Auto Format

You probably want one of the list templates.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 12:54 AM bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Another "newbie" question, if i might...
>
> I've noticed that in larger spreadsheets the author often shades every other row a light gray making it easier for the eye to discriminate between rows. I can do this manually but it's very time consuming, and is broken anytime i add or delete a row. Can someone please tell me the formula to do this and how to apply it? Many thanks!
>
> peace
> bill dobbins

Re: how to shade the background in every other row?

ken-93
Thanks!  That's something I've wanted to do in gnumeric for a long
time-- decades!  I tested it out, works good, but found also that things
got messed up when I inserted a row in the Autoformated part.  Then
doing the same again on the new (but the same) selected area really
messed things up... made a dark square block inside the selected area.
So I think this sort of Autoformatting should be done last, when there
will be no more additions to the spreadsheet.