webkit2 and copying

Andreas Schmidt-15
Hi,

I have built balsa with the following configuration:

$ ./autogen.sh --with-gpgme --with-gpg-app=/usr/bin/gpg2
--with-html-widget=webkit2 --with-spell-checker=gspell
--with-rubrica=yes --with-libnotify --with-canberra --enable-smime
--with-gtksourceview --without-gnome --with-libsecret --with-compface

If I select text in a mail (or mail part, in multipart messages) with
"Copy". This item is missing for message parts with Content-Type:
text/html, and copying the selected text manually by using <CTRL>+<C>
does not work. However, I noticed that although I cannot copy the text
to the clipboard, I still can highlight the text with the mouse and
then paste the selected text via middle-click into another document.

Perhaps this issue occurs only with webkit2? According to the README
file, the following options are allowed for the HTML widget:
        --with-html-widget=(no|gtkhtml4|webkit|webkit2)

If I remember correctly, webkit is deprecated, and is only there for
backwards compatibility. Using gtkhtml4, I get the error "You enabled
gtkhtml4 but it was not found." OK, let's search the available packages
for gtkhtml:

# grep-available -P gtkhtml | grep ^Package
Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-common
Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-0
Package: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
Package: libgtkhtml3.14-19
# apt-get install libgtkhtml-4.0-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libgtkhtml-4.0-0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
#

So, now I have two questions: Does the copying issue occur only with
webkit2, or is it independent of the HTML-widget used? Have I
overlooked something, or why can't I install gtkhtml on Debian/Sid?

Best regards

Andreas

Re: webkit2 and copying

Jack
Hello Andreas,
On 2017.06.06 08:38, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have built balsa with the following configuration:
>
> $ ./autogen.sh --with-gpgme --with-gpg-app=/usr/bin/gpg2
> --with-html-widget=webkit2 --with-spell-checker=gspell
> --with-rubrica=yes --with-libnotify --with-canberra --enable-smime
> --with-gtksourceview --without-gnome --with-libsecret --with-compface
Mine is
autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --with-gpgme=gpgme-config
--with-html-widget=webkit2  --without-canberra --without-gnome
--without-gtksourceview --without-gss --without-ldap --with-libnotify
--without-rubrica --without-sqlite --without-compface
--with-spell-checker=gtkspell --with-osmo --with-gcr
which has some differences, but does use webkit2.

> If I select text in a mail (or mail part, in multipart messages) with
> using <CTRL>+<C> does not work. However, I noticed that although I
> cannot copy the text to the clipboard, I still can highlight the text
> with the mouse and then paste the selected text via middle-click into
> another document.
I see the same, but in the HTML part, I can select Edit/Copy - it just
is not present in the right click context menu.  Also for me, even in
HTML part, Ctl-C does work.

> Perhaps this issue occurs only with webkit2? According to the README
> file, the following options are allowed for the HTML widget:
> --with-html-widget=(no|gtkhtml4|webkit|webkit2)

> If I remember correctly, webkit is deprecated, and is only there for
> backwards compatibility. Using gtkhtml4, I get the error "You enabled
> gtkhtml4 but it was not found." OK, let's search the available
> packages for gtkhtml:
>
> # grep-available -P gtkhtml | grep ^Package
> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-common
> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-0
> Package: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
> Package: libgtkhtml3.14-19
> # apt-get install libgtkhtml-4.0-0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package libgtkhtml-4.0-0
> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
> #
gtkhtml-4.10-0 is available for me under Gentoo.  I don't have an
ubuntu system handy, but can you try something like "apt search
gtkhtml" ?  I'm not familiar with grep-available, but it appears it is
using a database out-of-sync with your actual system.  (No, I have no
idea which is or isn't correct - but re-syncing both of them might be a
first start, although I have no idea how to do that.)

Jack
> So, now I have two questions: Does the copying issue occur only with
> webkit2, or is it independent of the HTML-widget used? Have I
> overlooked something, or why can't I install gtkhtml on Debian/Sid?
>
> Best regards
>
> Andreas

------quoted attachment------

Re: webkit2 and copying

Andreas Schmidt-15
Re: webkit2 and copying

Hi, Jack,

On 06/06/2017 10:13:07 PM, Jack wrote:

> Hello Andreas,

> On 2017.06.06 08:38, Andreas Schmidt wrote:

>> If I select text in a mail (or mail part, in multipart messages) with Content-Type: text/plain and right-click it, the menu contains an item "Copy". This item is missing for message parts with Content-Type: text/html, and copying the selected text manually by using <CTRL>+<C> does not work. However, I noticed that although I cannot copy the text to the clipboard, I still can highlight the text with the mouse and then paste the selected text via middle-click into another document.

> I see the same, but in the HTML part, I can select Edit/Copy - it just is not present in the right click context menu.  Also for me, even in HTML part, Ctl-C does work.

you're right! I just noticed that copying works from the Menu (Edit/Copy). For some reason (perhaps recent updates?), CTRL-C now seems to work as well -- although I'm *quite* sure it didn't work the last times I checked. That's why, I had intended for quite some time to report this issue before I actually got around to it yesterday. So the current status is: copying from a HTML-formatted mail or mail part *does* work, but the item "Copy" is missing from the right-click menu.

>> Perhaps this issue occurs only with webkit2? According to the README file, the following options are allowed for the HTML widget:

>> --with-html-widget=(no|gtkhtml4|webkit|webkit2)

>> If I remember correctly, webkit is deprecated, and is only there for backwards compatibility. Using gtkhtml4, I get the error "You enabled gtkhtml4 but it was not found." OK, let's search the available packages for gtkhtml:

>> # grep-available -P gtkhtml | grep ^Package

>> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-common

>> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-0

>> Package: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0

>> Package: libgtkhtml3.14-19

>> # apt-get install libgtkhtml-4.0-0

>> Reading package lists... Done

>> Building dependency tree

>> Reading state information... Done

>> E: Unable to locate package libgtkhtml-4.0-0

>> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'

>> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'

>> #

> gtkhtml-4.10-0 is available for me under Gentoo.  I don't have an ubuntu system handy, but can you try something like "apt search gtkhtml" ?  I'm not familiar with grep-available, but it appears it is using a database out-of-sync with your actual system.  (No, I have no idea which is or isn't correct - but re-syncing both of them might be a first start, although I have no idea how to do that.)

According to the man page, "[t]he  programs  grep-available,  grep-status, grep-aptavail and grep-debtags are aliases of (actually, symbolic links to) grep-dctrl.  These aliases use as their default input the dpkg(1) available and status files, the apt-cache dumpavail output and the debtags dumpavail output, respectively." So there should be no second database that could be out of sync. Nevertheless, with your approach I can find nothing relevant:

# apt search gtkhtml

Sorting... Done

Full Text Search... Done

#

Best regards

Andreas

Re: webkit2 and copying

Jack
On 2017.06.07 07:56, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
First - I realize I misread something in your original message, which
slightly misdirected my earlier reply.  You (and I) are currently using
webkit2.  I believe only webkit is deprecated, not webkit2 (but the
numbering certainly leads to some confusion, as I remember.)  Then, you
were asking what might be different with gtkhtml4.

[snip...]

>>> # grep-available -P gtkhtml | grep ^Package
>>> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-common
>>> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-0
>>> Package: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
>>> Package: libgtkhtml3.14-19
>>> # apt-get install libgtkhtml-4.0-0
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> E: Unable to locate package libgtkhtml-4.0-0
>>> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
>>> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
>>> #
>> gtkhtml-4.10-0 is available for me under Gentoo.  I don't have an
>> ubuntu system handy, but can you try something like "apt search
>> gtkhtml" ?  I'm not familiar with grep-available, but it appears it
>> is using a database out-of-sync with your actual system.  (No, I
>> have no idea which is or isn't correct - but re-syncing both of them
>> might be a first start, although I have no idea how to do that.)
> According to the man page, "[t]he  programs  grep-available,
> grep-status, grep-aptavail and grep-debtags are aliases of (actually,
> symbolic links to) grep-dctrl.  These aliases use as their default
> input the dpkg(1) available and status files, the apt-cache dumpavail
> output and the debtags dumpavail output, respectively." So there
> should be no second database that could be out of sync. Nevertheless,
> with your approach I can find nothing relevant:
So these are specific to distributions that use dpkg/apt and friends,
which is why I don't have any of them.   However, I still don't see how
your grep-available example found libgtkhtml-4.0-0 but apt-get install
did not find it.  (I would ask if by any strange chance, it is already
installed, except you said that ./configure didn't find it.)  This
seems like a question for your distribution.  One off the wall
suggestion - what happens with "apt-get install gtkhtml" in case the
version numbers are not considered part of the package name?

> # apt search gtkhtml
> Sorting... Done
> Full Text Search... Done

Jack

Re: webkit2 and copying

Andreas Schmidt-15
Hi, Jack,

On 06/07/2017 07:18:11 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 2017.06.07 07:56, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
> First - I realize I misread something in your original message, which
> slightly misdirected my earlier reply.  You (and I) are currently
> using webkit2.  I believe only webkit is deprecated, not webkit2 (but
> the numbering certainly leads to some confusion, as I remember.)
> Then, you were asking what might be different with gtkhtml4.
that's right: I have been using webkit2 because I remembered webkit was
deprecated and I couldn't get gtkhtml installed.

> [snip...]
> So these are specific to distributions that use dpkg/apt and friends,
> which is why I don't have any of them.   However, I still don't see
> how your grep-available example found libgtkhtml-4.0-0 but apt-get
> install did not find it.  (I would ask if by any strange chance, it
> is already installed, except you said that ./configure didn't find
> it.)  This seems like a question for your distribution.  One off the
> wall suggestion - what happens with "apt-get install gtkhtml" in case
> the version numbers are not considered part of the package name?
# apt-get install gtkhtml
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gtkhtml
#

Not sure why that is -- I'll ask around at the Debian user list if
anybody has an idea.

Thanks so far!

Andreas

Re: webkit2 and copying

Andreas Schmidt-15
Hi, all,

On 06/06/2017 02:38:14 PM, Andreas Schmidt wrote:

> I have built balsa with the following configuration:
>
> $ ./autogen.sh --with-gpgme --with-gpg-app=/usr/bin/gpg2
> --with-html-widget=webkit2 --with-spell-checker=gspell
> --with-rubrica=yes --with-libnotify --with-canberra --enable-smime
> --with-gtksourceview --without-gnome --with-libsecret --with-compface
>
> If I select text in a mail (or mail part, in multipart messages) with
> using <CTRL>+<C> does not work. However, I noticed that although I
> cannot copy the text to the clipboard, I still can highlight the text
> with the mouse and then paste the selected text via middle-click into
> another document.
I believe my claim was not entirely right. Let me be more specific:

I just received a mail with Content-Type: text/plain from a client. On
right-click, the item "Copy" is missing from the menu, but I can use
"Copy" from Balsa's Edit-menu, and I can use CTRL-C to copy text. Now,
for the interesting part:

The mail was quite long, so I opened it per double click. "Copy" is
still not available from the right-click menu. If I use "Copy" from the
message window's Edit-menu or Ctrl-C, nothing at all is copied -- the
previous clipboard contents is retained. So, copying works OK from the
main window (list of messages in a folder), but not if you open a
single message. How is that possible?

Best regards

Andreas