why does ssconvert need D-bus ?

Fourhundred Thecat
Hello,

when I run following command in the text console:

  ssconvert --export-type=Gnumeric_html:html40 file.gnumeric fd://1

I get lots of errors like these:

  (ssconvert:3532): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the
D-BUS daemon:
  Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
  GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

Please correct me if I am wrong, but ssconvert is a command line
spreadsheet format converter (that's what the man page says, anyway).
Why then, for what purpose, is it looking for D-bus ?

The whole point of a command line utility is, that it works in the
commandline (without X)

The man page does not mention anything about D-bus
(man ssconvert | grep -i bus)

Can somebody please explain what is happening ?

Re: why does ssconvert need D-bus ?

Morten Welinder-2
It shouldn't need an X server.  That is, as you say, kind of the point.

GConf, on the other hand, is needed.  We don't really know or control
what that does under the hood, but needing an X server is unreasonable.

Please file a bug against gconf for this.

Morten

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Fourhundred Thecat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when I run following command in the text console:
>
>   ssconvert --export-type=Gnumeric_html:html40 file.gnumeric fd://1
>
> I get lots of errors like these:
>
>   (ssconvert:3532): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the
> D-BUS daemon:
>   Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
>   GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but ssconvert is a command line
> spreadsheet format converter (that's what the man page says, anyway).
> Why then, for what purpose, is it looking for D-bus ?
>
> The whole point of a command line utility is, that it works in the
> commandline (without X)
>
> The man page does not mention anything about D-bus
> (man ssconvert | grep -i bus)
>
> Can somebody please explain what is happening ?

Re: why does ssconvert need D-bus ?

Fourhundred Thecat
> On 2016-09-01 14:50, Morten Welinder wrote:
>
> It shouldn't need an X server.  That is, as you say, kind of the point.
>
> GConf, on the other hand, is needed.  We don't really know or control
> what that does under the hood, but needing an X server is unreasonable.
>
> Please file a bug against gconf for this.

IIUC, gconf is a database for gnome applications, to store configuration
settings.

Why would ssconvert need this ?

ssconvert is supposed to be a simple commandline utility to convert from
one format into another

Re: why does ssconvert need D-bus ?

Morten Welinder-2
> Why would ssconvert need this ?

To store configuration parameters.  Most of the settings we store there
are GUI related, but there are a few here and there that are not and apply
meaningfully to ssconvert.

> ssconvert is supposed to be a simple commandline utility to convert from
> one format into another

I am not sure I agree with that description.  ssconvert is Gnumeric minus
the gui.

M.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Fourhundred Thecat <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 2016-09-01 14:50, Morten Welinder wrote:
>>
>> It shouldn't need an X server.  That is, as you say, kind of the point.
>>
>> GConf, on the other hand, is needed.  We don't really know or control
>> what that does under the hood, but needing an X server is unreasonable.
>>
>> Please file a bug against gconf for this.
>
> IIUC, gconf is a database for gnome applications, to store configuration
> settings.
>
> Why would ssconvert need this ?
>
> ssconvert is supposed to be a simple commandline utility to convert from
> one format into another

Re: why does ssconvert need D-bus ?

Fourhundred Thecat
> On 2016-09-01 17:40, Morten Welinder wrote:
>
>> Why would ssconvert need this ?
>
> To store configuration parameters.  Most of the settings we store there
> are GUI related, but there are a few here and there that are not and apply
> meaningfully to ssconvert.
>
>> ssconvert is supposed to be a simple commandline utility to convert from
>> one format into another
>
> I am not sure I agree with that description.  ssconvert is Gnumeric minus
> the gui.

thanks for the comments

I believe this is a bad design decision.

A convertor utility should not need to store any settings. It should
simply convert from format A to format B. All the information it needs
is the content of file A. There should be no external
configuration/information required.

What's next? Will next version of ssconvert depend on systemd ?

Anyway, that's my opinion.
But I am not a gnumeric developer, and I guess you don't care to know
what I think.